Download Summary CV as PDF
I am an AIX administrator with 20 years of experience ranging from a small software company to enterprise businesses running critical 24×7 systems using the largest IBM servers available. I have extensive knowledge of IBM hardware and IBM’s technologies, micro-partitioning and virtual I/O and knowledge of a range of other Unix systems including Solaris and Linux. I have worked with TSM Spectrum Protect backup systems, SAN and storage systems such as the ESS Spectrum Scale GPFS clusters, NIM servers and clusters as well. I am AIX 5.1 CATE certified which is IBM’s highest certification level.
I work happily in both teams and on my own. I am quick to pick up the procedures and technologies of the team I join but can also help develop processes where needed. Regardless of the roll I always work hard on root cause analysis to prevent recurring problems which in the end result in a stable and efficient environment for my client.
I have a significant amount of experience outside work, including but not limited to 22 years of Linux experience, MySQL, Apache, WordPress, Mail, DNS, networking and firewalls. This is all detailed after the chronological list of jobs held.
I have started the AWS certification path to SysOps and Architect and have passed my AWS Cloud Practitioner and Solutions Architect exam.
Summary of main skills
- IBM AIX Support, troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Linux Systems Administration
- IBM System p hardware, LPARs, virtualisation, VIOs and HMCs
- IBM VIOs, SEA, NPIV, ectherchannel.
- IBM LPM Live Partition Mobility
- NIM Installation manager
- TSM Spectrum Protect backups
- MySQL database support
- Scripting/programming in KSH, BASH, Python, PHP etc.
- TCP/IP networking, firewalls, netfilter, etherchannels, VLANs, SEA etc from a Unix admin perspective
- Apache webserver, mail server, DNS, NFS and various skills related to running web and mail domains
- AWS Cloud knowledge
- Very broad set of knowledge and can pick up anything needed
SSE/HCL January 2020 – Current
- Supporting BAU and solving incidents and doing on-call
- Supporting TSM tape to ESS GPFS migration project
- Joining project to security patch 1500 servers across the estate
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy BAU June 2019 – December 2019
- Tidy-up and configuration of 350 project servers to productionise them
- Assisting ESS storage project planning going forward
- Supporting BAU and solving incidents
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy Project team October 2018 – June 2019
- Main technical person of IBM ESS migration project to replace TSM tape libraries with ESS high performance GPFS disk system
- Configuring IBM ESS software and RedHat on POWER
- Building first SSE RedHat Linux on POWER LPAR for testing
- Setting up virtual tape pools on existing TSM servers and migrating clients
- Trouble shooting and supporting ESS storage systems
- Writing monitoring scripts for ESS
- Adapting and testing use of REAR (RedHat Backup Recovery) on IBM POWER
- Working with Veritas clusters decommissioning disks and resources
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy Maintenance March 2017 – September 2018
- Maintaining OS and firmware levels on 1500 AIX LPARs across 18 pSeries frames
- Maintaining OS and firmware levels on 100 Linux servers on HO ProLiant hardware or WMware
- Planning and arranging upgrades and out-of-hours failovers with application teams and business users to ensure all servers were on supported levels
- Configuring LPM Live Partition Mobility for hardware migration project
- Maintaining and updating Python monitoring GUI after release
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy BAU Support June 2013 – March 2017
- BAU support of 1500 servers
- Working on both automated and user raised incidents
- Resolving problem ticket for long term issues and improvements
- Managing Veritas and RAC Clusterware clusters
- Managing TSM backups, nodes and servers
- Configuring LPM Live Partition Mobility for hardware migration project
- Using IWS to monitor job schedules
- Writing script amendments for monitoring
- Writing Python GUI to visualise alerts in monitoring system
- Supporting MySQL database and PHP scripts for monitoring system
SGN Scotia Gas Networks project team. June 2012 – June 2013
- WebMethods migration project, version 6.5 to 8.2
- Installing, patching and configuring WebMethods 8.2
- Installing and configuring Terracotta cluster for WebMethods and working with networking team to set-up load balancer
- Support for WebMethods developers and testers, troubleshooting and configuring WebMethods
- Building LPARs to SSEs specifications on POWER7 hardware using dual VIOs, NPIV, logical VLANs and virtual switches
- Using NIM to build AIX 6.1 LPARs following strict SSE build procedures
- Setting up mksysb and TSM backups of LPARs controlled by TWS
- Working with DBAs to deliver LPARs to support Oracle databases
- Configuring fail-over systems for DR recovery
- Assisting BORIS migration project by building LPARs and configuring for Oracle use
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy January 2012 – April 2012
- BAU work on 500 AIX LPARs and 50 Solaris servers
- Ensuring successful TSM backups
- Using TWS to run scripts for backups and housekeeping
- Started project to find and eliminate any network set-up issues, fixing missing links in etherchannels, replacing broken adapters, upgrading all links to gigabit and migrating channels in Shared Ethernet Adapter fail-over set-ups to go to separate switches, all done concurrently with-out affecting users
- Fixed and amended monitoring scripts, added network link down detection and paging space and VG quorum flags not set correctly detection. Also fixed monitor not treating vscsi devices correctly.
- Advising project team in setting up new VIO systems using VLAN and Shared Ethernet fail-over
- Mapping VIO disk LUNs through vhosts to client partitions and setting up multipathing through VIO pairs
- Fixing a number of long-term outstanding issues such as slow servers, erratic scripts and repetitive monitoring alerts
IBM October 2011 – October 2011
- 12 day project to build procedure control system for fire services
- Setting up RAID 5 and installing VIOs
- Building AIX LPARs using IVM on p710s to run MQseries, DB2, Message Broker and BPM
- Setting up bridged Host Ethernet Adapters and virtual Ethernet and setting them up as an etherchannel device on the LPARs for redundancy
- Cloning installed systems using virtual optical drives on VIO server
- Setting up call-home services
- Writing manual for installing p710 with VIO, AIX LPARs and software from scratch
Lloyds TSB. February 2011 – May 2011
- Supporting EngageOne insurance letter system
- Supporting testing of EngageOne updates by verifying successful transactions and helping testers investigation why transactions failed
- Supporting go-live and investigating issues
- Deploying software and managing configurations using ClearCase
GlaxoSmithKline. March 2010 – December 2010
- Building LPARs on POWER6 hardware using HMC v7 and NIM
- Allocating storage for AIX installation on NetApp Netfilers
- Installing SAP
- Zoning Brocade SAN switches
- Resolving incidents and problem tickets on NetApp storage and Brocade switches
Virgin Media. March 2009 – December 2009
- Tasked to make E-billing system PCI compliant, consisting of AIX and Linux systems and involving peripheral systems as well such as email servers, FTP servers, TSM backup system, web servers and WebSphere application server.
- Responsible for technical side of E-billing stabilisation project
- Setting up NIM server
- Patching production servers incl. keeping on top of emergency security patches
- Configuring Sendmail
- Implementing and testing Netcool monitoring on whole platform working with the monitoring team
- Writing monitoring scripts for Netcool
- Implementing Tripwire file integrity system
- Setting up scripts to monitor inactive user accounts
- Upgrade and configure TSM clients
- Upgrading HMC from v5 to v7
- Configuring HMC dial-home
- Fixing numerous HACMP problems
- Working with PowerPath using EMC storage on HACMP platform
McKesson. September 2008 – November 2008
- Main person on Registrations project – Building servers, storage and SAN. Running on p690 LPARs, AIX 5.3 cloned via NIM, ESS storage, SAN+zoning, NIM+mksysb cloning, setting up HACMP cluster
- Wrote script to gather system data daily for all servers
- Migrated NHS hub cluster from POWER4 to POWER5 systems and setup HACMP
Pipex Homecall. December 2007 – May 2008
- Installing, designing and building p570, including setting up VIO server and four partitions using virtual ethernet and SAN disks
- Configuring and assigning LUNs on ESS for new systems and migrating data between systems
- Supporting the TSM team in running the TSM server and migrating from a 3584 library to DataDomain NAS devices
- Configuring flashcopy for data replication between systems on the ESS
- AIX redesigning and cloning of systems using flashcopy, NIM and mksysb
- Day-to-day support of existing systems
- Maintaining and configuring SAN and zoning when adding new clients
- Maintaining ESS, working with IBM adding new disk arrays, splitting into LUNs, setting up Flashcopy and assigning to clients.
VISA Europe. May. 2007 – October 2007
- Day-to-day support of 180 AIX systems and 250 Solaris systems
- Doing firmware upgrades and hardware maintenance on POWER 5 systems
- Building LPARs on POWER4 and POWER5 systems using NIM
- Supporting HACMP clusters including doing upgrades
Attenda. April. 2006 – April 2007
- Day-to-day support of 30 managed Unix clients running Solaris, Linux and AIX dealing with incidents and communicating with clients.
- Main technical expert on our two AIX clients, Nisa Todays and DeLaRue, running mainly on P690s and p570s, supporting requests, doing troubleshooting and maintenance and assisting in migrating environments from POWER4 to POWER5
- Supporting HACMP clusters including doing upgrades
- Implementing changes to systems requested by clients.
- Ensuring reliable backups were running daily and assisting with restores using Netbackup.
Camelot Interactive. Oct. 2003 – March 2006
- Main AIX responsible in EuroMillions project, installing, advising and supporting the development and production servers. Also involved in installing the main EuroMillions draw application and quality approving the installations in the UK and Spain.
- Building test, development and production AIX servers for project Oxford both at main site and backup site. Implementing NetHSM encryption devices to be used with project Oxfords store terminals (FastPay)
- Main technical person on capacity upgrade project replacing two p690 with new p570 and p510 servers. I was working on this project from beginning to end getting new hardware in house, racking and cabling, building servers from NIM mksysb image networking and configuring them and working with the applications team. Also built virtual I/O servers supplying disk and network to the partitions.
- Supporting database servers for the sales and marketing team
- Supporting SUN Solaris server running our DNS and mail servers
- Built NIM servers for easy building and upgrading of servers.
- Administering four IBM p690 systems including designing partitions for maximum availability and installing AIX and software
- Managing TSM server and tape library ensuring reliable daily backups of all servers as well as doing capacity planning
- Installing StorWatch Expert and SANavigator to manage and monitor McData switches and ESS storage system assisting in performance tuning and avoiding storage growth problems
- Administering ESS storage system by allocating storage to hosts and monitor storage growth and performance.
- Doing day-to-day support by responding to incident reports from the operators. Also doing overnight call-out.
Safeway plc. Nov. 2002 – Oct. 2003
- Capacity planning and installing p690s and partitions. Installing and configuring AIX on partitions.
- DB2 DBA tasks, mainly configuring connectivity from AIX servers to DB2 on the mainframe
- Setting up fibre cards and SDD multi path drivers in connection with building new SAN and installing McData switches
- Managing TCP/IP and SNA networking on AIX including setting up Ethernet and ESCON links
- Installing MQSI hub with DB2
- Planning web portal running WebSphere and HACMP
- Doing performance tuning on our Business Objects partitions.
- Installing TSM clients and testing our new mainframe TSM system in co-operation with our automation team.
- Day-to-day support and troubleshooting.
- Installing AIX and software.
PBS Data A/S, Copenhagen Aug. 2001 – Jun. 2002
- Doing systems administration of AIX on IBM’s RS/6000 and managing five SP systems with PSSP.
- Working on several software systems doing trouble shooting, capacity planning, documentation and planning strategies on our computer systems.
- Installing and planning configurations of all our SP systems and stand-alone pSeries systems
- Working with backup and software systems such as OnDemand, DB2 and Oracle.
- Planning and implementing security strategies together with our audit and security department.
- Installing and supporting HACMP clusters.
International Data Post, Copenhagen Feb. 1999 – Jul. 2001
- Doing systems administration on the company’s Unix computers used for development and testing for two years, working with AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, SCO UNIX and Linux.
- Installing and configuring new systems, setting up development environments and test systems.
- Doing maintenance, trouble shooting, performance tuning, backup and documentation of the Unix computers.
- Also involved in planning, setting up and supporting the network that consisted of Cisco switches and a Cisco router. I have a lot of experience with TCP/IP and routing on Unix and this in combination with working on a Cisco network has given me a good knowledge of networks.
- Responsible for support on hardware, software and operating systems. Responsible for procurement of hardware/software, maintenance agreements, developing IT strategies, etc. Advising my ‘customers’ and the management in the company on what to buy and how to design the systems. Did analysis on what to buy for projects.
- Later working in the customer service department supporting ePost/Open2, a hybrid mail system. In connection with this I worked with InfoPrint Manager, Prisma+APA, Oracle and MQseries. Was the main responsible person on InfoPrint Manager and Prisma+APA.
- Doing installation and trouble shooting on our customer’s ePost/Open2 installations and was deeply involved in testing of new patches and releases of the system.
I have been running Linux since my University days on laptops, PCs and servers. I run several domains, Web, WordPress, MySQL, DNS, mail etc, for myself and family. My home router runs Linux as well and is a firewall, proxy server, CUPS print spooler, monitoring server and runs ZoneMinder CCTV system amongst other things.
I have 10-20 years of experience with the following technologies:
- Linux (RedHat/Ubuntu/Debian/Amazon Linux) and Linux kernel
- Running Linode VPS
- Apache web server, WordPress software and home made PHP written web pages
- Apache virtual hosts
- Bind DNS primary and secondary domains including DNS-SEC
- Mail servers and secondary spooler with SPF and grey-listing anti-spam measures
- WebMail (Squirrelmail & Roundcube) and Dovecot IMAP mail services running multiple domains
- MySQL databases for websites and applications including home written applications
- Squid proxy server with throttling buckets and SquidGuard blacklisting
- Routing and firewalling for IPv4 & IPv6 including bucket throttling
- Multi-IP-camera CCTV system running on ZoneMinder and MySQL
- System V and CUPS print spooler and services
- 1992-1994 Graduated from high school in Ringkøbing, Denmark, Ringkøbing Gymnasium
- 1994-1995 Six-month tour of duty with the civil defence in Denmark
- 1996-1999 Studied mathematics, physics and computer science at the University of Copenhagen (not finished)
Training and Certification
- 1999 IBM AU16, Advanced AIX System Management and Problem Determination
- 2000 Azlan, Cisco ICND (Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices)
- 2000 eHuset, Solaris Systems Administration I
- 2001 IBM AU91, SP Systems Administration I
- 2002 IBM CF21U, DB2 UDB Administration Workshop for UNIX
- 2002 IBM AU54GB, HACMP System Administration I: Planning and Implementation
- 2003 IBM WF38GB, WebSphere Application Server V4 (Advanced Edition) – Administration
- 2003 IBM AU70GB, pSeries Logical Partitioning (LPAR) for AIX
- 2004 InTechnology, TSM implementation and configuration
- 2005 IBM AU54GB, HACMP System Administration I: Planning and Implementation
- 1999 Certified — AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
- 2003 Certified – p690 LPAR Technical Support
- 2006 Certified Specialist — eServer p5 and pSeries Administration and Support for AIX 5L V5.3
- 2007 Certified Specialist — eServer p5 and pSeries Enterprise Technical Support AIX 5L V5.3
- 2007 Certified Specialist — eServer p5 Virtualization Technical Support AIX 5L V5.3 IBM
- 2007 Certified Systems Expert — eserver p5 and pSeries Enterprise Technical Support AIX 5L V5.3
- 2007 Certified Systems Expert — eserver p5 Virtualization Technical Support AIX 5L V5.3
- 2007 Certified Systems Expert – eServer p5 HACMP for AIX 5L
- 2007 IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert — IBM System p5
- 2019 AWS Cloud Practitioner
- 2019 AWS Solution Architect